Bulletin of BSU. Language. Literature. Culture
ON TYPOLOGY of CHARACTERS in PLAYWRITING by NADEZHDA PTUSHKINA // Bulletin of BSU. Language. Literature. Culture. - 2017. №1. . - С. 33-40.
ON TYPOLOGY of CHARACTERS in PLAYWRITING by NADEZHDA PTUSHKINA
The article analyzes plays written by Nadezhda Ptushkina, one of the most popular playwrights in the 1990–2000 years. The main types of characters are re- viewed. From four constant types – woman-wife, woman-lover, woman-mother and man (husband, son), the author emphasizes two - woman-wife and man- husband. Understanding these types of characters lead to the playwright's axiology; they personify the playwright's idea: central and deeply dramatic role in relation- ships is given to a woman, while a man often acts as peculiar catalyst allowing a woman to understand and find herself. Final scenes often show the situation of self- identification, and Ptushkina's characters are able to self-identify themselves. The author analyzes "Tower of Pisa" by N. Ptushkina, where Wife and Husband's rela- tionships are in crisis, but their marriage is similar to the famous tower which is leaning but not falling down. The play's final is a clarification; entangled and com- plicated way to this clarification is the main action in the plays by Ptushkina and defines the typology of the characters.
Nadezhda Ptushkina, types of characters, gender aspect, binary op- positions, values and anti-values, woman drama, author's idea.
List of references:
1. Bogdanova P. Bol'shaya peremena (Na iskhode XX veka my nachinaem podvodit'
nekotorye itogi) [The big break (We start to summarize in the end of the 20th century)].
Sovremennaya dramaturgiya – Modern playwriting. 1999. No. 4. Pp. 163–171.
2. Interv'yu s avtorom p'esy «Pizanskaya bashnya» Nadezhdoi Ptushkinoi [Interview with Nadezhda Ptushkina, the author of "Tower of Pisa"]. Available at: http://www.teatrps.ru/newsblog/96/intervyu-s-avtorom (accessed January 10, 2017).
3. Nadezhda Ptushkina. O sebe [Nadezhda Ptushkina. About myself]. Available at:
http://www.theatre.ru/drama/ptushkina/ (accessed January 11, 2017).
4. Pinchuk N. Opyt stilizatsii v p'ese N. Ptushkinoi «Ovechka» [Experience of styliza- tion in "The Lamb" play by N. Ptushkina]. Available at: http://www.ptushkina. livejournal.com/16427.html (accessed: November 30, 2016).
5. Ptushkina N. Ovechka i drugie p'esy ["The Lamb" and other plays]. Moscow, 1999.400 p.
6. Ptushkina N. Korova [The Cow]. Available at: http://www.ptushkina. com/PiecePDF/korova.pdf (accessed December 14, 2016).
7. Sokolyanskii A. Shablony i skloki lyubvi: o p'esakh N. Kolyady [Templates and hassles of love: on the plays by N. Kolyada]. Novyi mir – New World. 1995. No. 8. Pp. 218–220.